- 2 - 3 lb tri-tip or beef chuck roast (trimmed of excess fat) - cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke
- 2 10.5 oz. cans Campbell's Beef Consommé
- 1/4 cup dry minced onions
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced lengthwise
Preheat oven at 250 degrees. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add cubed meat in batches. Do not overcrowd the meat or they will begin to steam instead of sear. Brown on all sides and then transfer meat to a 3.5 to 5.5 quart or larger enameled cast iron dutch oven.
In the dutch oven, add all ingredients except for mushrooms and bell peppers. Stir well to combing ingredients. Bring to a boil and then cover dutch oven with lid and transfer to the oven. Slow cook in the oven for 2 hours or until fork tender.
While the beef is in the oven, heat a large nonstick skillet with 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil. Begin frying sliced mushrooms until brown. Careful not to overcrowd again or the mushrooms will steam instead of brown. Set aside until beef is done.
After 2 hours, check the beef for tenderness. (If meat is still not tender, place it back in the oven for another 30 mins.) When beef is tender, transfer back to the stovetop and let simmer. Add the fried mushrooms and sliced bell peppers and simmer for another 10 mins.