*TIP: This recipe is best done "mise en place" ...meaning to prep all the ingredients to have it ready before you begin the cooking process. You don't want to be chopping the veggies or mushrooms and end up overcooking the sausage.
Two 8 oz. boxes of pre-washed whole mushrooms (Target or Trader Joe's)
2 1/2 tbsp Dry Marsala (Trader Joe's)
1 pound tube Jimmy Dean regular sausage
6 chopped green onions (white & green parts)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
8oz tub Mascarpone cheese (Trader Joe's)
1/3 cup grated parmesan (Trader Joe's)
2 1/2 tbsp minced parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
2-3 packets of Splenda
1. Remove stems from mushrooms and chop them finely and place in bowl. Add Marsala and let the stems marinate. Set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, add Sausage and break apart finely with a wooden spatula. Cook 8-10 mins until it's browned. (You may optionally drain the fat, but I don't bother since fat is good with this diet)
3. Add mushroom stems with the Marsala marinade. Stir for another 3 minutes.
4. Stir in chopped scallions and garlic, stirring occasionally
5. Add Mascarpone and swirl until melted
6. Remove pan from heat and stir in parmesan and parsley
7. Add Splenda. Add salt and pepper, to taste
8. Let mixture cool until its' consistency is moldable
9. Fill each mushroom generously and arrange in a rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle a little more parmesan on prepped mushrooms
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 35-45 mins