I love making Lumpia (Filipino egg rolls). It's one of my most requested foods whenever there's a party or holiday involved. I kept running into keto/low carb recipes for Egg Roll in a Bowl so I thought I'd make my own version by making Lumpia in a Bowl! The ground pork mixture is almost identical to my actual lumpia recipe, but of course there are no carby egg roll wrappers, corn starch or sugar. Best of all, the entire meal can be made into one skillet and I don't need to spend an hour tediously rolling lumpia. I did use shredded carrots on mine because there are carrots in my lumpia recipe. If your net carb allowance doesn't allow for carrots, simply take it out. I personally love the crunch and sweetness it brings to the dish. I had about two servings of this for lunch. Soooo good!
1 lb ground pork (80% lean/20% fat -- I got mine at Trader Joe's)
1 whole stalk scallions (chopped - green and white parts)
9 oz bag of Trader Joe's Organic Shredded Green & Red Cabbage with Carrots (You can also use a bagged cole slaw mix if you don't have a Trader Joe's near you)
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup Kikkoman soy sauce or liquid aminos (**NOTE: Some soy sauce are saltier than others. For example, Filipino soy sauce is significantly saltier than Kikkoman brand. Gradually add soy sauce to your liking. If it's too salty, add more chicken broth)
2 tsps oyster sauce
4 tbsp low sodium chicken broth (canned)
1-2 Splenda or Stevia packets
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp sesame oil
Pepper (to taste)
1. In a deep skillet or wok, cook the ground pork until brown. Do not overcook!
2. Add the chopped scallions and garlic, then sauté with the ground pork for about 1 minute.
3. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken broth, Stevia packets, lemon juice, sesame oil and pepper. Incorporate well and taste to your liking. If the mixture is too salty, add more low sodium chicken broth.
4. Finally, add in the cabbage and carrots and stir until slightly wilted but still has crunch.
5. Garnish with scallions (cut on a bias) and sesame seeds. Serve immediately!